Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Why spend more than $200 on a smartphone? My wife bought the latest iPhone and regretted it.....


Perhaps it's a uniquely Singaporean behavior. "Die die" must change handphone when the contract is up, taking advantage of the "fantastic offers" that the telcos offer.

So my wife decided to change her smartphone even though her Samsung S3 was in perfectly good condition. She was looking forward to owning her first iPhone. I advised her that smartphone technology is so cheap now that it does not make sense to spend more than SGD $200 on a phone. Who knows, perhaps the phone companies just collect the old phones, dismantle and put the components in a new cover, and sell as the latest model at a huge profit. I told her to maybe look at Xiaomi, but that didn't went into her head.....

As expected, she did not listen.

So she took my Samsung S2, which my brother gave me 2 years ago, and traded in to get $100 off the iPhone 5S. She paid about $400, after the discount and signing a 2 year contract. She showed off her new toy once it arrived.

Good thing for me, I got phone upgrade to Samsung S3. FREE.

Less than a week with her new phone, she said," I don't like the iphone, screen too small."

So for the next whole week, she went to sell her iPhone 5S. Fortunately, she managed to find a buyer and sold it off at around $850.

With that money, she bought a second hand Samsung S5 and finally got a smartphone with a screen big enough for her.

When I thought it was over (at least for the next 2 years), one night at a gathering, she saw a friend with a Xiaomi and was impressed with the phone. Her friend said he got it for less than $200. She turned to me and said, "Why didn't you tell me about Xiaomi?"




No comments:

Post a Comment